Tenant Coverage

If you live in a rented home, tenant coverage will keep your personal belongings protected.

What is tenant insurance?

A tenant is anyone who rents a house, apartment or condominium from a landlord. In most cases, the tenant furnishes the space with their own personal belongings to make it their home. What many people may not consider is how those personal items will be replaced in the event of a fire, flood or theft.

Although your landlord is responsible for insuring the building structure, the contents – that is, your belongings – are your own responsibility. This refers to furniture, electronics, clothing, towels, bedding, dishes… anything you bring into your rented home.

When your document is ready, it will automatically download to your device.

Your document will be automatically downloaded to your device.

Tenant coverage at a glance

Our tenant insurance plan covers your belongings and includes liability coverage. It is your landlord’s responsibility to insure the building only.

Learn More


This type of coverage lists events that are not covered if damage occurs to your belongings and unit fixtures.

For example, damage may not be covered if by:

  • Terrorism
  • War
  • Nuclear events
  • Business or farming operation
  • Vacancy over 30 days
  • Wear, tear or deterioration

Also referred to as "Special" or "All Risk".

How it works: an example

You carry a can of paint across the room and accidentally spill it all over your area rug and your couch.

You would be covered for your area rug and couch.

Paint spillage is not specifically excluded in your policy.

Liability Coverage

Our tenant plan includes liability coverage. In the example noted, if your landlord were to take legal action against you for negligence that caused paint damage to areas of your suite that are part of the building (such as wall-to-wall flooring or permanent fixtures), you’d be covered.

Tenant-specific coverages

As a tenant, you may have the opportunity to make modifications your unit. These optional coverages are available to help you protect any upgrades.

Learn more
Optional Coverages

Tenant Improvements

Protect any upgrades to the rented home that you have completed.

If you replace the wall-to-wall carpet with a more valuable hardwood flooring, you would be covered.

Damage to Dwelling

Protect any permanently installed items that you have incorporated into the rented home.

A closet organizer.

Unsure if you need tenant coverage?

Learn the common misconceptions about tenant insurance – and how knowing the truth could save you thousands of dollars.

Learn more

Loss of Use

Also commonly referred to as Additional Living Expenses, this coverage is part of your policy. It pays for the potential increase in your living expenses if you are temporarily unable to live in your home.


If you have to continue to pay rent after a fire and must also pay to live elsewhere while the repairs are being completed, your insurance plan will cover the increased costs of living.

This coverage will also respond if your home is evacuated when there is damage to a neighbouring premises or if there is a major event in your area that prevents you from returning to your home until the area is safe again.

Learn more about Loss of Use coverage

Additional coverages

Most insurance policies allow you to customize coverage for additional items such as jewellery, cottages, boats and motors, or extend certain coverages to a home-based business.

Things to consider:

  • Do you operate a business out of your home or garage?
  • Do you own a cottage?
  • Does the value of your jewellery exceed the limit offered by your policy?

Your broker is the best resource to assess your unique needs and determine which additional coverages may help protect you and your home.

When to talk to your insurance broker

The insurance policy you purchase when you first move into your home will reflect your needs at that exact time in your life. Over time, our needs change — and you should alert your broker of important updates so they can make sure you're always fully covered.

Learn more   Find a Broker