Our response to the COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, as does the world’s. We want to assure you that we’re here to serve our policyholders and our insurance brokers across Canada. With our employees working remotely, our business operations continue as uninterrupted as possible. We’re happy to let you know our team is here to help Canadians.
We know you have a number of concerns and don’t want you to worry unnecessarily about your insurance coverage. We encourage you to contact your insurance broker should you have any issues or concerns. As your licensed insurance representative, they act as your primary point of contact.
We’ve shared the responses provided to our brokers to answer your questions regarding claims, payment and insurance coverages. This information will hopefully provide you with some peace of mind.
- Where to go if you have questions
- Keeping our employees and policyholders healthy and safe
- Supporting you during a claim
- Offering some financial relief
- Extending your personal property or commercial insurance coverage
- Understanding your coverage while working from home
- Helping you stay informed
Where to go if you have questions
For questions, please contact your insurance broker. Your broker’s contact information is available through our online directory and on your insurance policy documents. If your broker’s office is currently closed to the public, they may be available by phone and email. If you’re unable to reach your broker, please email us at email@example.com.
Keeping our employees and policyholders healthy and safe
Our first priority continues to be the well-being of our employees, our policyholders and our communities.
Employees: Most of our employees are working from home to support social distancing. However, there are a small number of employees whose presence in the office is critical to continuing to serve you and brokers. We’ve made special efforts for these employees to protect their well-being; we’ve introduced enhanced cleaning measures in all offices, such as regular sanitizing of surfaces and deep cleaning where applicable.
Policyholders: Public access at our offices is currently unavailable to ensure we practice social distancing and reduce the spread of the virus. Please refrain from attending our office unless you have a prearranged meeting with a member of our team. Please contact your insurance broker should you have any issues or concerns. As your licensed insurance representative, they act as your primary point of contact.
Supporting you during a claim
Our adjusters continue to service your claims. Please reach out to them anytime to check in on progress, preferably through email. We do ask for your patience as timelines may be impacted by COVID-19 related delays.
If you already have a claim underway but are currently unable to have your car or home repaired due to vendor closures, or parts and materials unavailability, we are pleased to extend car rental and additional living expense coverage on existing claims during this period until your property is fully repaired and usable. Please contact your adjuster to discuss your situation. They will provide you with the necessary agreements.
Submitting a Claim: We’re available 24/7 to handle your claim with ease and care. We encourage you to report your claim online or by telephone:
- Submit a claim online and will we contact you as soon as possible.
- Submit a claim by phone at 1-844-929-2637. Wait times may be longer during this period and we ask for your patience as we respond to this developing situation.
If there is damage to your property, we have temporarily suspended home and on-site visits. Instead, we are using video and photo technology to evaluate damages and help you with a claim. For damages to your car, please call us – we’re here to help you.
Our vendor partners and independent adjusters are also taking the necessary precautions to ensure the health and safety of you and your families. They continue to be ready to support you should you require in-person assistance.
Offering some financial relief
We realize this situation is evolving rapidly and that some policyholders may have personal financial difficulty over the coming months. We are taking several measures, in partnership with your insurance broker, to assist you and help ease your concerns.
- We’re working with your broker to make every attempt to avoid policy cancellations for non-payment of insurance premiums for the foreseeable future. If you receive a notice of cancellation, please contact your insurance broker.
- If your bank account lacks funds to pay your monthly insurance premium, we will be waiving nonsufficient funds fees (NSF) until May 25, 2020.
- If you’re scheduled to pay your premium in full at renewal, please contact your insurance broker who will work with us to provide you with more flexible payment options upon request.
- If you are having financial difficulty and are unable to pay your insurance premium, please contact your insurance broker so your situation can be considered. We’re here to help.
- You can make a payment or view your account information online
We’re working hard to ensure your payment options are as flexible as possible for you during this time. Your broker can help you with any questions that you may have, and rest assured that we will take extra care in dealing with your special circumstances.
Extending your personal property or commercial insurance coverage
If you are unable to renew your personal property or commercial insurance coverages at this time, we’ve provided coverage to extend your current policy. Please contact your insurance broker, who will be happy to assist you and explain how this coverage is applied.
Understanding your coverage while working from home
If you are working remotely as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak, your personal insurance policy provides coverage for personal liability. It also provides up to $5,000 in coverage for a home-based business on your premises that is not insured under another policy.
Please note, your personal policy excludes losses due to the transmission of a communicable disease, such as COVID-19, by any person insured on your policy. Please contact your insurance broker for help with other questions you may have.
- Home-Based Business Coverage: If your insurance policy indicates you have a Home-Based Business Endorsement, the business property limit available is equal to the amount shown on your declaration page. Loss of income coverage is included in the Home-Based Business endorsement and does not apply unless there is direct physical loss or damage to your property or home as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Business Interruption Insurance: Generally, commercial insurance policies and traditional business interruption policies do not offer coverage for business interruption or supply chain disruption due to a pandemic such as COVID-19. Business interruption coverage on your policy only applies if physical damage occurs to property insured under your policy.
If you have damage to your property and need to report a claim, please contact your insurance broker. If your broker is not available, please report your claim online or call us directly at 1-844-929-2637.
Helping you stay informed
Our COVID-19 response team is continuing to closely monitor the news and top health and disease organizations – including the World Health Organization, Health Canada and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We are committed to providing you with regular updates as the situation unfolds.
For more information, the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) has produced a brief Q&A document outlining how coverage is triggered during the COVID-19 pandemic.
We’re in this together
Wawanesa is proud of well over a century of being responsive to the needs of our policyholders and our communities, as aligned with our values. Together we’ve weathered many crises. Together, we’ll get through this one too.
Thank you for your patience and continued support as we work through this rapidly changing situation.