As a mutual insurer, we have always been guided by values that focus on being a positive force in the community. Our Caring Together initiative is a $1.8 million financial commitment we’re making to communities in need. These funds are in addition to the $3.5 million we’ve previously committed this year to hundreds of community organizations in Canada and the United States.
Caring Together currently has three areas of focus:
COVID-19 support – providing funding to Indigenous and remote Northern communities, United Way centres, hospital foundations, and food banks in Canada and the United States.
- $400,000 towards Indigenous and remote Northern communities, supporting needs identified by the communities themselves. We’ve teamed up with the Canadian Red Cross and True North Aid to help identify those needs and distribute funds effectively.
- $500,000 to United Way’s COVID-19 Response to increase its support for local community partners in Canada and United States that provide food, shelter, and mental health support in disadvantaged and marginalized communities.
- $250,000 to hospital foundations in Canada and the United States to support frontline healthcare workers and COVID-19 research.
Civil rights – providing funding to civil rights and social justice organizations in the United States and Canada focused on supporting Black communities.
Employee and broker partner donation matching – a dollar-for-dollar donation matching program open to our employees and insurance broker partners.
- Together with employees and broker partners, donated nearly $100,000 to charities through our donation matching program.
- Wawanesa will supplement that for a total donation of $250,000 with the additional funds distributed to charities selected based on employee and broker partner voting results.
We have a history of caring together for our communities, and today our communities need us more than ever to step up again. We look forward to continuing to make a difference.