California Auto Insurance FAQs



Roadside Assistance

Policies and Coverage


How do I obtain an auto policy?

Call 877-WAWANESA (929-2637), speak with a quote specialist to receive a quote and bind your policy over the telephone for same day coverage.

Walk in to our location at the following address:

Wawanesa General Insurance Company
9050 Friars Road, Suite 101
San Diego, CA 92108
Monday through Friday 7:30 AM-4:30 PM

Back to Top

How do I calculate the downpayment on my automobile insurance application?

  1. Select a payment plan. Our payment options include Full Pay, Two Pay and Monthly Automated Recurring plans.

    If you wish to pay in full, the total policy premium is the amount you will pay.

    If you wish to pay in two installments, the first payment is 50% of the total policy premium. The second payment is the remaining 50% of the total premium plus a $5 installment fee, which is due 2 months from the policy effective date.

    If you wish to pay in monthly installments, this payment plan is available only as automated and recurring. A $1.00 installment fee is assessed each month. The first payment and all subsequent payments are due on a selected billing date as per insured's request. The first payment is due within the month of inception and continuing monthly until any future cancellation, non-renewal or lapse of the policy.

Back to Top

If I apply for auto insurance, do I have coverage immediately?

In order to have coverage immediately:

  1. Please contact a Quote Specialist to complete an electronic application.
  2. The Quote Specialist will require your premium downpayment information if paying by debit card, credit card or a one time withdrawal. Please note: mailing your payment by check will defer a request for immediate coverage.
  3. Any current automobile liability insurance policy must be in force the day you apply for insurance.
  4. All drivers must be clear of driver’s license suspensions or revocations.
  5. All drivers must be clear of any convictions related to alcohol or drug offenses.

Otherwise, NO coverage will apply until such time as your application is approved by Wawanesa.

Back to Top


Where do I mail my payment for my existing policy?

Please mail your check, payable to:
Wawanesa General Insurance Company
P.O. Box 85048
San Diego, CA

Back to Top

Is there a grace period if my payment is late?

There is NO grace period. Payments must be U.S. postmarked and received in our office PRIOR to any expiration or cancellation date to avoid a lapse in coverage. No claims will be honored if a loss occurs during a lapse period.

Back to Top

Can I designate an additional person to receive notice of cancellation for nonpayment?

Yes, as of January 1, 2016, you may designate one additional person to receive notice of cancellation of your policy for nonpayment of premium. This designated person will receive notice at least 10 days prior to the effective date of any cancellation of your policy for nonpayment of premium. You may designate, change, or delete this person at any time after January 1, 2016. Please note that this person will not have any rights under the policy except for the right to receive notice of lapse, termination, expiration, non-renewal or cancellation of your policy for nonpayment of premium.

To add, change, or delete an additional person to receive notice of cancellation for nonpayment, visit our Change Your Policy section, or email, fax, or mail our office with the following information:

  1. Your policy number
  2. Your full name
  3. The full name of the additional person you wish to designate
  4. The complete mailing address of the additional person you wish to designate
  5. Whether or not you authorize Wawanesa to discuss your policy's billing information with this designated additional person

Back to Top

My policy was cancelled for non-payment. If I send a payment will my coverage be reinstated?

A policy cancelled for Non-Payment of Premium at Renewal or Mid-Term may be Reinstated without a lapse in coverage provided:

  • The provided payment is received and post marked within 25 days past the payment due date.
  • The payment is the full amount that is past due

A policy cancelled for Non-Payment of Premium at Renewal or Mid-Term that does not meet the above requirements for reinstatement may be considered for Rewriting of a policy subject to new policy terms and conditions.

Back to Top

Is there a fee to cancel my policy?

A $50.00 cancellation fee will apply on any new policy that is cancelled within 60 days of the initial effective date.

Back to Top

Roadside Assistance

Does Wawanesa offer Roadside Assistance?

Yes, as of January 1, 2012, Roadside Assistance is available for our policyholders.

Back to Top

What are the benefits of Roadside Assistance?

Wawanesa offers two ways to use Roadside Assistance: Sign and Drive* and Outside Services. With the Sign and Drive Option you simply call the toll-free number and a service representative will dispatch a service provider to your location. The service will be performed and payment will be made directly to the service provider from Wawanesa. You will be asked to sign the receipt and you will be on your way. If the service does not exceed the $100 benefit limit, you will not incur any out-of-pocket expense. Lockout Service is available up to $100 per incident. The cost of keys is not included.

* Sign and Drive Option is not available in some U.S. Territories. For these instances, compensation will be in the form of a reimbursement.

Back to Top

What if I use a tow provider of my choice?

You can also opt to use the Outside Service Option when using Roadside Assistance. When using a tow provider of your choice you will need to pay for your services out-of-pocket and submit the receipt to us for reimbursement. You will be reimbursed up to $50 per disablement using this option. Lockout Service is available up to $100 per incident. The cost of keys is not included.

Roadside Assistance is not available for Travel Trailer/Recreational Trailers or Motorhomes or for vehicles older than 14 years.
There is a limit of one (1) reimbursement per disablement and a total of two (2) incidents per covered vehicle per policy period.

Back to Top

Where do I send my receipt for reimbursement?

You can submit your receipt along with your policy number to:

Wawanesa General Insurance Company
9050 Friars Road
San Diego, CA 92108
Attn: Claims
For questions regarding your reimbursement:

Back to Top

Policies and Coverage

What discounts are available on Wawanesa Automobile Insurance Policy?

We currently offer the following discounts:

  1. Good Driver Discount
  2. Mature Driver Improvement Course Discount
  3. Multi-Car Discount
  4. Driver Training Discount
  5. Loyalty Discount

Back to Top

Does Wawanesa offer Rental Expense coverage?

Yes, effective October 1998, this coverage became available on all vehicles insured for either Comprehensive or Collision coverage by Wawanesa.

Back to Top

Am I covered if I drive in Mexico?

There is NO coverage provided by your Wawanesa Automobile Insurance Policy.

Back to Top

If I am involved in an accident, will my premium increase?

If you are found to be 51% or more responsible for the accident and there is more than $1000 in total resulting damages you are considered at-fault in the accident and your premium will increase at your next policy renewal.

Back to Top

How long does an at-fault accident and/or a traffic conviction surcharge remain on my policy?

An at-fault accident and/or a traffic conviction remains on your policy for three years, commencing the first renewal after the accident and/or conviction date.

Back to Top

A rock hit my windshield. If I put in a claim will my policy premium go up?

No, there is no increase in premiums charged due to any Comprehensive coverage related claims.

Back to Top

How does my policy cover me when renting a car?

If you rent a private passenger car, light van or pick-up, in Canada, the U.S. or its possessions or territories, your Wawanesa Automobile Policy will provide coverage.

  • If a vehicle is rented, because an automobile covered by your Wawanesa Policy is disabled or being serviced, the policy for the disabled car will be carried over to the rental vehicle. Rental expenses incurred are covered if your Wawanesa Policy includes the optional coverage for that disabled vehicle.
  • If a vehicle is rented for any reason other than due to disablement or servicing of a covered vehicle, it will have the broadest coverage we currently provide for any vehicle shown on your policy declaration page.

Back to Top

To find out more, request an online 

Auto Quote

Or call 1-877-WAWANESA (929-2637) to speak with a Quote Specialist.
Get an Auto Quote

Good drivers deserve great insurance rates.

Start an Auto Quote

Or call to speak with a Wawanesa Quote Specialist: 1-877-WAWANESA

Get a Residential Quote
Start a Condo Quote
Related Links