At Wawanesa, we have always been guided by our values that center on being a positive force in the community. Our new Caring Together initiative is a $1.8 million financial commitment we’re making in 2020 to communities in this time of need.
These funds are in addition to the $3.5 million we’ve already committed this year to hundreds of community organizations in Canada and the United States.
We have a history of caring together for our communities, and today our communities need us more than ever to step up again. We’re humbled by the important work these organizations are doing and are honored to support them.
Our Caring Together initiative has three areas of focus:
We are providing funding to United Way, hospital foundations, communities, and food banks in Canada and the United States.
- $500,000 will go to United Way’s COVID-19 Response to increase its support for local community partners in Canada and the United States that provide food, shelter, and mental health support in disadvantaged and marginalized communities.
- $400,000 will go to the Canadian Red Cross and True North Aid to support communities in need.
- $250,000 will go to hospital foundations in Canada and the United States to support frontline healthcare workers and COVID-19 research.
We are providing funding to civil rights and social justice organizations in the United States and Canada focused on supporting Black communities.
Employee and Broker Partner Donation Matching
A dollar-for-dollar donation matching program open to our employees and insurance broker partners.
- Together with employees and broker partners, donated nearly $100,000 to charities through our donation matching program.
- Wawanesa will supplement that for a total donation of $250,000 with the additional funds distributed to charities selected based on employee and broker partner voting results.