California Condo Insurance

Wawanesa is not currently offering condo insurance in California while we make some important changes to serve you better. If you need help with your existing Wawanesa condo policy, or are interested in an auto quote please call us at 800-640-2920.

The following brief descriptions are provided to assist in understanding the coverage options available. Any coverage provided by a Wawanesa Insurance Policy is subject to the actual policy wording, endorsements, and declaration page(s) and all terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions therein.

We offer one of the most comprehensive Homeowners Protection Programs for your insurance dollar. Some important program features included in our policy at no additional costs are:

REPLACEMENT COST ON CONTENTS* Guarantees that most of your personal property will be replaced at current replacement cost. Items such as antiques, memorabilia, fine arts... will be settled at actual cash value.

SPECIAL COVERAGE FOR DWELLING Broadens and provides increased protection for your dwelling.

INFLATION GUARD Helps to keep your limits of insurance equal to the current replacement value of your personal property.

* Replacement Cost on Contents does NOT APPLY to damage from the peril of Earthquake, if coverage for Earthquake is selected.

Make a Selection:

Basic Protection

Workers Compensation

Other Basic Coverages

Optional Coverages



Coverage A - Dwelling

The basic Coverage A - Dwelling limit is 10% of your Personal Property limit. This provides coverage on additions, alterations, appliances, fixtures and improvements which are part of your building and not covered by your association's policy. Limits can be increased in increments of $1,000 up to a maximum of $1,000,000. If Earthquake coverage is selected, please contact us for the additional premium.

We strongly recommend that you read the Association's Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CC&Rs) which should state the insurance responsibilities of the association and the unit owner. Most condominium associations insure the building's structure and common areas, but each unit's interior is the responsibility of the unit owner.

If your Homeowner's Association is not responsible for insuring the interior of your unit, you, the unit owner, need to insure everything inside the unit such as cabinets, built-in appliances, flooring, counter tops, interior partitions, bathroom and kitchen fixtures, and other improvements. Your Homeowner's Association may also not cover improvements made by you (or a previous owner) to your unit such as upgraded carpet or upgraded counter tops.


Back to Top

Coverage C - Personal Property

Your belongings are covered up to the limit of your policy. Special limits for certain items of personal property are:

1. $200 on money, bank notes, bullion, gold other than goldware, silver other than silverware, platinum other than platinumware, coins, medals, scrip, stored value cards and smart cards.

2. $1,500 on securities, accounts, deeds, evidences of debt, letters of credit, notes other than bank notes, manuscripts, personal records, passports, tickets and stamps.

3. $1,500 on watercraft of all types, including their trailers, furnishings, equipment and outboard engines or motors.

4. $1,500 on trailers or semitrailers not used with watercraft of all types.

5. $1,500 on loss by theft of jewelry, watches, furs, precious and semiprecious stones.

6. $2,500 for loss by theft of firearms and related equipment.

7. $2,500 for loss by theft of silverware, silver-plated ware, goldware, gold-plated ware, platinumware, platinum-plated ware and pewterware. This includes flatware, hollowware, tea sets, trays and trophies made of or including silver, gold or pewter.

8. $2,500 on property, on the "residence premises", used primarily for "business" purposes.

9. $1,500 on property, away from the "residence premises", used primarily for "business" purposes.

10. $1,500 on portable electronic equipment that reproduces, receives or transmits audio, visual or data signals, is designed to be operated by more than one power source, one of which is a "motor vehicle's" electrical system, and is in or upon a "motor vehicle".

11. $250 for antennas, tapes, wires, records, disks or other media that are used with electronic equipment that reproduces, receives or transmits audio, visual or data signals, and is in or upon a "motor vehicle".

Certain personal property category limits may be increased. Please refer to the Optional Coverage Section.


Coverage D - Loss of Use

This provides coverage for additional living expenses should a covered loss cause your unit to be uninhabitable. We cover necessary additional expenses so that you can maintain your household at its normal standard of living for up to 12 months.


Back to Top

Coverage E - Personal Liability

If a claim is made or a suit is brought against you for damage because of bodily injury or property damage (to which this coverage applies), we will pay, up to our limit of liability for the damage.


Coverage F - Medical Payments to Others

We will pay the necessary medical expenses, (to which this coverage applies), up to our limit of liability, for which you are liable as a result of an accidental injury to others.


Back to Top


Required by California state law, this coverage applies only to non-business pursuits. Occasional employee coverage is automatically provided for each employee who works less than ten hours per week, and whose duties are incidental to the ownership, maintenance or use of the residence; i.e., baby-sitter, gardener, housecleaner, etc..



We will pay reasonable costs incurred by you, up to our coverage limit, to prevent further damage such as removal of debris and fire department service charges incurred to protect the property.


Back to Top


Our policy provides the necessary protection for most condominium owners. There may, however, be a need for the extra coverage, provided on an individual basis, by an optional coverage.

A. Increased Limits

Extended coverage is available, subject to individual item and aggregate limits, to increase the basic overage limits, on a blanket basis for:

1. Jewelry, Watches and Furs

2. Silverware, Goldware and Pewterware

3. Firearms

4. Money

5. Securities

6. Portable Electronic Equipment


B. Scheduled Property

Specific items, in the following categories, can be scheduled on an individual basis and insured to their current appraised value:

1. Jewelry

2. Furs

3. Musical Instruments

4. Silverware

5. Golf Equipment

6. Fine Arts (with or without breakage coverage)

7. Cameras and Photographic Equipment

8. Stamps

9. Coins


Back to Top

C. Limited Earthquake Coverage - California

The basic policy does not automatically provide coverage against the peril of Earthquake. Limited coverage, on an actual cash value settlement basis, is offered on every condominium policy. Dwelling coverage is limited to the amount of coverage provided under Coverage A - Dwelling on the basic policy. Personal Property coverage is limited to $5,000. Additional Living Expenses is provided but limited to $1,500. Replacement Cost on Contents Coverage does not apply and this optional coverage is subject to a deductible limit equal to 15% of the coverage limit on your dwelling or Personal Property limit of $5,000, whichever is greater.


D. Credit Card, Fund Transfer Card, Forgery & Counterfeit Money

The basic policy limit of $500 coverage for losses created by your legal obligation to pay because of theft or unauthorized use of credit or fund transfer cards, check forgery or the good faith acceptance of counterfeit money can be increased up to $10,000.


Back to Top

E. Loss Assessment Coverage

The basic policy provides up to $1,000 of coverage for your share of assessments charged against you by a corporation or association of property owners for a peril covered under our policy. This limit can be increased up to $15,000. This does not cover loss assessments arising from earthquakes, even if Limited Earthquake Coverage is provided on the policy.


F. Other Coverage Options

We have other coverage options available to meet your individual needs. These include:

1. Increased Limits on Money and Securities

2. Business Pursuits Protection

3. Permitted Incidental Occupancies - Residence Premises

4. Increased Limits on Business Property

5. Increased Limits on Other Structures

6. Special Limits Enhancement

7. Home Systems Protection

8. Identity Fraud Expense Coverage

9. Home Cyber Protection Coverage


Back to Top

To find out more, request an online 

Condominium Quote

Or call 1-877-WAWANESA (929-2637) to speak with a Quote Specialist.
Get a Condominium Quote

Find out what Wawanesa can do for you.

Start a Condominium Quote

Or call to speak with a Wawanesa Quote Specialist: 1-877-WAWANESA

Get a Quote Today
Related Links