APPLICABLE TO APPLICANTS FOR INSURANCE PRODUCTS, CURRENT CUSTOMERS AND FORMER CUSTOMERS
Wawanesa General Insurance Company (“Wawanesa”, “us” or “our”) offers various personal insurance products and we collect personal information from individual customers, former customers, and potential customers when they apply for and/or purchase insurance products from us, when we administer insurance policies and claims, and in connection with other insurance related transactions. All personal information of current customers, former customers and potential customers collected and processed in connection with the provision and administration of our personal insurance products is subject to the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (“GLBA”) and this Privacy Notice.
I. WHAT INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We may collect personal information about you, and other members of your household that you may provide regarding an insurance transaction, including, but not limited to your name, address, telephone number, email address, date of birth, claims history, motor vehicle records, and in some cases, your insurance score which is derived from your credit history.
We collect such information from various sources, including:
- The application forms you submit for a rate quote, policy, or amendments to any policy;
- Other policy service documents or claim forms you submit;
- Your dealings with us in person, over the telephone, or through our website, mobile app, or the mail;
- From third parties who assist us in the investigation, processing or payment of claims; and
- From credit reporting agencies and insurance support organizations
We will not use your credit history for underwriting or policy rating purposes where prohibited by law. The information obtained from a report prepared by an insurance support organization may be retained by such insurance support organization and disclosed to third parties.
II. WHAT INFORMATION WE DISCLOSE
We may disclose the following personal information about you:
- Personal information that you provide;
- Personal information about you received from third parties in connection with the evaluation, investigation or processing of a claim;
- Personal information about your dealings with us, including, but not limited to, information on your policy coverage, premiums, and payment record;
- Personal information received from consumer reporting agencies or insurance support organization; and
- As otherwise permitted by applicable law.
We only disclose the personal information of former customers for the following purposes:
- Investigating or processing ongoing claims;
- Reporting, investigating or preventing actual or potential fraud or material misrepresentation;
- Compiling statistics and analyzing business results, and
- As otherwise permitted by applicable law.
III. PARTIES WE DISCLOSE INFORMATION TO
We may disclose your personal information to the following nonaffiliated third parties:
- To third parties who perform a business, professional or other insurance function for Wawanesa. These third parties may include, but are not limited to, claims management companies, claims adjusters, repair shops, roadside assistance program providers, third parties who assist in determining an individual’s eligibility for an insurance benefit or payment, or third parties who assist in detecting or preventing criminal activity, fraud, material misrepresentation or material nondisclosure in connection with an insurance transaction;
- Other insurance companies involved in the claims or underwriting process;
- To medical care institutions or medical care professionals as necessary to verify coverage or benefits;
- To insurance regulatory authorities and insurance rate advisory organizations;
- To law enforcement or other governmental authority as permitted by applicable law;
- To third parties for the purposes of conducting actuarial or research studies;
- To third parties for the purposes of assisting Wawanesa in the development or marketing of property and casualty insurance products and services to better meet our customers’ needs;
- To another insured or claimant when the information disclosed is from certain accident reports, supplemental reports and investigative reports; or
- To consumer reporting agencies, in accordance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
We may also disclose your personal information to affiliates of Wawanesa as permitted by applicable law.
When disclosing your personal information, we will provide only the information appropriate to the circumstances, and we will use contractual or other means to ensure your personal information is protected while it is being used by the other party.
IV. PURPOSES FOR COLLECTING, USING OR DISCLOSING INFORMATION
We may collect use or disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- To establish and maintain communications with you about an insurance transaction;
- To offer or provide information on property and casualty insurance products and services;
- To investigate, evaluate and pay claims;
- To assist a third party in the performance of a business, professional or other insurance function for Wawanesa;
- To determine your eligibility for an insurance benefit or payment;
- To detect or prevent criminal activity, fraud, material misrepresentation or material nondisclosure in connection with an insurance transaction;
- To conduct actuarial studies or business analysis;
- To facilitate a proposed or consummated sale, transfer, merger or consolidation of all or part of Wawanesa;
- To perform marketing services by a third party on Wawanesa’s behalf, as permitted by applicable law;
- To report claims experience or conduct an audit of our operations;
- To review the conduct of a medical care institution or medical care professional;
- To determine eligibility for health benefits for which a governmental authority may be liable;
- To provide information regarding the status of an insurance transaction to any lienholder, lessor or other person identified in our records as having a legal or beneficial interest in a policy; and As otherwise permitted by applicable law.
V. HOW WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
- We do not sell your personal information to anyone;
- We do not share your personal information with other companies for their own marketing purposes;
- We require companies performing services on our behalf to protect your personal information in a manner appropriate to the type and sensitivity of the information, and to use it only in connection with those services;
- We allow only those employees and agents who need your personal information to access, use it or disclose it for the purposes identified in this Privacy Notice;
- We restrict access to your personal information through physical, electronic and procedural safeguards;
- We monitor our safeguards regularly; and
- We revise our procedures when needed to meet new concerns.
VI. CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
California residents have certain rights under the California Insurance Information and Privacy Protection Act which are described in this section VI.
We reserve the right to disclose your personal information to an affiliate of Wawanesa for marketing purposes without your affirmative authorization and the law does not allow you to restrict that disclosure.
You may request to have access to your personal information by sending a written request to Wawanesa at the mailing address or email address listed in the Contact Information section below. You must provide proper identification with your written request. Within thirty (30) business days of receiving your request and verifying your identity, Wawanesa will inform you of the nature and substance of the personal information maintained by Wawanesa, permit you to see a copy of such personal information, or to obtain a copy of the personal information at a reasonable fee to cover the cost of providing such information. You may also request to have your personal information in Wawanesa's possession corrected, amended or deleted. Within thirty (30) business days of receiving your written request and verifying your identity, Wawanesa shall notify you of the corrections, amendment or deletion, or will provide you with a written notice of refusal and advise you of your rights to appeal such determination, in accordance with applicable law.
VII. UPDATES TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
Wawanesa may modify this Privacy Notice from time to time. When we do, we will note at the bottom of the Privacy Notice the date that any changes are made and/or when they become effective. If the changes being made are material, we may alert you to the changes in a more prominent way.
VIII. CONTACT INFORMATION
For questions, comments or concerns regarding this Privacy Notice or our privacy practices, contact us at:
Wawanesa General Insurance Company
Attention: Chief Privacy Officer
9050 Friars Road
San Diego, CA 92108
This Privacy Notice was updated on: June 26, 2020