There are few things more frustrating for a homeowner than a flooded basement. It can happen all too easily and, often, without warning.
Flooded basements can be caused by:
- improper disposal of materials such as fats, oils, grease and diapers;
- tree roots growing through cracks in the waterlines and causing blockages;
- sewer backups caused by overloaded stormwater and sanitary sewer infrastructure;
- frozen water pipes;
- vandals blocking lines with bricks, wood, oil filters, bed springs, and even Christmas trees in manholes; and
- illegal hookups allowing excess water into the lines. Outside stairwell drains, sump pumps, roof leaders and drain gutters should never be connected to the sewer system.