1-888-933-WAWA (9292)

Claim Process

This information is intended as a general reference only. You should thoroughly review your policy so that you are aware of specific definitions and conditions that apply to the insurance coverage you purchased.

Insurance policies are contracts between you and your insurance company. You should understand the policy before a loss occurs. Review your policy with your insurance agent so you'll know what's covered.

Filing Your Claim

  • Our claims service is available at all times. In order to report a claim, please contact your service office. If you require after hours assistance in the event of a loss or damage that is an emergency, please contact our 24 / 7 Claim Emergency Service.
  • Report any burglary or theft to police. In many areas all personal injury automobile accidents and all accidents resulting in property damage in excess of a certain dollar amount must be reported to the police.
  • In the event of an accident, phone your Wawanesa agent immediately, regardless of who may have caused the accident. Ask questions such as "What coverage do I have?" "How long does the claim process usually take?" Who is responsible to obtain damage estimates?" "Does my claim exceed my deductible?"
  • As soon as it is safe to do so, make temporary repairs and take other steps to protect your property from further damage. Save receipts for what you spend and submit them to us for consideration. Remember that payments for temporary repairs are part of the total settlement.
  • You may be required to submit various forms or documents in support of your insurance claim. Examples are: "proof of loss" forms; medical invoices; repair bills and a copy of the police report. Your Insurance agent or the adjuster will help explain what is needed. Return the properly completed forms as soon as possible.
  • Let us know where you can be reached.
  • Maintain records of your expenses and copies of your paper work. Also retain copies of whatever documents and correspondence we provide to you.


Preparing For The Adjuster's Contact

The claims process may begin in one of three ways:

  1. An adjuster may contact you by telephone to obtain specific details and provide instructions.
  2. We may send you a claim form, known as a "proof of loss" form, to complete.
  3. An adjuster may visit your home before you're asked to fill out any forms.


Property Loss

  1. Do not dispose of damaged items. The adjuster may want to see them. Make detailed lists, room by room, of all damaged items identifying brand names and model numbers. Identify where and when you bought the item and its original purchase price. If in doubt, ask the adjuster and he or she will provide assistance.
  2. If it is safe to do so, take a good look around your property and make a note of any structural damage. Don't forget to look at all structures on the property such as sheds, fences, garage, etc.
  3. If you suspect damage, even though there are no outward signs of it, the adjuster may recommend hiring experts such as a structural engineer to carry out a further detailed inspection.
  4. You should obtain detailed written repair estimates from reliable, licensed and bonded contractors. The estimate should clearly detail what labour and material are needed.
  5. There can be times when your home sustains substantial damage to the point where you must move out while repairs are being made. If this happens, save receipts from any additional living expenses you incur while away from your home. Your policy only considers those expenses over and above your normal expenses.


Customer Satisfaction

The Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company ("Wawanesa") is committed to providing superior products and service for our customers. Following the steps as outlined here will ensure you receive a timely, fair and professional response to any complaints. For matters involving privacy you have additional options outlined under the Privacy Concerns section below.

Step 1: Contact Your Independent Broker

Most issues can be resolved by contacting your Independent Broker. Your broker can provide information and assist in having your concern addressed.

In Quebec, Contact Your Customer Service Representative (CSR)

Your Customer Service Representative can provide information and assist in having your concern addressed.

Contact Your Claims Adjuster

If your concern involves a claim, contacting your Claims Adjuster directly will resolve most issues.

Step 2: Contact a Supervisor

If a resolution is not reached with the assistance of your Broker, a CSR, or Claims Adjuster, ask to be directed to the appropriate Supervisor at the Regional Branch or Service Office. www.wawanesa.com

Step 3: Contact a Department Manager

If a resolution is not reached with the assistance of your Broker, a CSR, Claims Adjuster, and Supervisor, ask to be directed to the appropriate Department Manager.

Step 4: Contact Wawanesa's Regional Ombudsperson

If we still have not reached a resolution, please contact Wawanesa's Regional Ombudsperson by mail www.wawanesa.com or by email at:

British Columbia Region: ombud-britishcolumbia@wawanesa.com
Southern Alberta Region: ombud-southernalberta@wawanesa.com
Northern Alberta Region: ombud-northernalberta@wawanesa.com
Prairie Region: ombud-prairie@wawanesa.com
Winnipeg Region: ombud-winnipeg@wawanesa.com
Ontario Region: ombud-ontario@wawanesa.com
Quebec Region: ombud-quebec@wawanesa.com
Atlantic Region: ombud-atlantic@wawanesa.com

Step 5: External Agencies

If your concern has not been resolved, the next step is to seek assistance from an external agency. We have included links to some of those organizations.

For insurance related concerns outside Quebec:

General Insurance OmbudService (GIO) or Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC)
www.giocanada.org http://www.fcac.acfc.gc.ca

For insurance related concerns in Quebec:
Autorité des marchés financiers (AMF)

Privacy Concerns

Wawanesa has procedures in place to address any question or concern related to personal information and privacy protection. If you have a concern, please follow Steps 1, 2 and 3, as noted above. If that does not resolve your concern then you can contact the Regional Vice President at the Regional Branch involved directly. In the event that that does not resolve your concern then your privacy issues can be brought to the attention of:

Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary,
The Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company
900-191 Broadway
Winnipeg MB R3C 3P1

External to Wawanesa, you can contact the appropriate public official designated in the relevant provincial legislation or if none, The Privacy Commissioner of Canada. www.priv.gc.ca

British Columbia
Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner

Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner

Commission d'accès a l'information du Québec

All Other Provinces & Territories
Privacy Commissioner of Canada

Please note that the Office of the Privacy Commissioner does not process complaints via e-mail. Please submit your complaint by mail.


Settling Your Claim

Once we agree on the terms of the settlement, payment will be sent promptly.

AM Best