• Home >
  • Products >
  • Automobile >
  • Automobile Insurance - FAQ

Automobile Insurance - FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions



Roadside Assistance

Policies and Coverage


How do I obtain an auto policy?

Call 877-WAWANESA (929-2637), speak with a quote specialist to receive a quote and bind your policy over the telephone for same day coverage.

Walk in to our location at the following address:

Wawanesa General Insurance Company
9050 Friars Road, Suite 101
San Diego, CA 92108
Monday through Friday 7:30 AM-4:30 PM

Back to Top

How do I calculate the downpayment on my automobile insurance application?

  1. Choose the insurance coverages, limits and deductibles you want for each vehicle; and write the corresponding premium in the space located beside that coverage.
  2. Add the premiums for each vehicle and enter this number at the bottom of the column.
  3. Add the total premium for each vehicle. This is your total annual (12 month) policy premium and it should be entered in the space marked "TOTAL ANNUAL 12 MONTH PREMIUM" below the total vehicle premium space for vehicle 3.
  4. You may choose to pay in full, in three or nine installments per year.

    If you wish to pay in full, the total annual 12 month premium is the amount you will pay.

    If you wish to pay in three installments, multiply the total annual policy premium by 40% (.40) and add the $4 service charge.

    If you wish to pay in nine installments, your total annual policy premium must be $300 or more. Multiply the total annual premium by 20% (.20). Add the $4 service charge.

    In order for your application to be processed, your check, payable to Wawanesa, in the amount of the total annual policy premium or the downpayment, must accompany your application.

Back to Top

If I apply for auto insurance, do I have coverage immediately?

In order to have coverage immediately:

  1. Please contact a Quote Specialist to complete an electronic application.
  2. The Quote Specialist will require your premium downpayment information if paying by debit card, credit card or a one time withdrawal. Please note: mailing your payment by check will defer a request for immediate coverage.
  3. Any current automobile liability insurance policy must be in force the day you apply for insurance.
  4. All drivers must be clear of driver’s license suspensions or revocations.
  5. All drivers must be clear of any convictions related to alcohol or drug offenses.

Otherwise, NO coverage will apply until such time as your application is approved by Wawanesa.

Back to Top


Where do I mail my payment for my existing policy?

Please mail your check, payable to:
Wawanesa General Insurance Company
P.O. Box 85048
San Diego, CA

Back to Top

Is there a grace period if my payment is late?

There is NO grace period. Payments must be U.S. postmarked or received in our office PRIOR to any expiration or cancellation date to avoid a lapse in coverage. No claims will be honored if a loss occurs during a lapse period.

Back to Top

Can I designate an additional person to receive notice of cancellation for nonpayment?

Yes, as of January 1, 2016, you may designate one additional person to receive notice of cancellation of your policy for nonpayment of premium. This designated person will receive notice at least 10 days prior to the effective date of any cancellation of your policy for nonpayment of premium. You may designate, change, or delete this person at any time after January 1, 2016. Please note that this person will not have any rights under the policy except for the right to receive notice of lapse, termination, expiration, non-renewal or cancellation of your policy for nonpayment of premium.

To add, change, or delete an additional person to receive notice of cancellation for nonpayment, visit our Change Your Policy section, or email, fax, or mail our office with the following information:

  1. Your policy number
  2. Your full name
  3. The full name of the additional person you wish to designate
  4. The complete mailing address of the additional person you wish to designate
  5. Whether or not you authorize Wawanesa to discuss your policy's billing information with this designated additional person

Back to Top

My policy was cancelled for non-payment. If I send a payment will my coverage be reinstated?

Reinstatement of coverage is subject to Underwriter approval. If reinstated, coverage will be effective at 12:01 AM the day after the U.S. postmark date on your payment envelope. Reinstatement of coverage is not possible on any policy that has been canceled or expired for more than 30 days.

Back to Top

Is there a fee to cancel my policy?

A $50.00 cancellation fee will apply on any new policy that is cancelled within 60 days of the initial effective date.

Back to Top

Roadside Assistance

Does Wawanesa offer Roadside Assistance?

Yes, as of January 1, 2012, Roadside Assistance is available for our policyholders.

Back to Top

What are the benefits of Roadside Assistance?

Wawanesa offers two ways to use Roadside Assistance: Sign and Drive* and Outside Services. With the Sign and Drive Option you simply call the toll-free number and a service representative will dispatch a service provider to your location. The service will be performed and payment will be made directly to the service provider from Wawanesa. You will be asked to sign the receipt and you will be on your way. If the service does not exceed the $100 benefit limit, you will not incur any out-of-pocket expense. Lockout Service is available up to $100 per incident. The cost of keys is not included.

* Sign and Drive Option is not available in some U.S. Territories. For these instances, compensation will be in the form of a reimbursement.

Back to Top

What if I use a tow provider of my choice?

You can also opt to use the Outside Service Option when using Roadside Assistance. When using a tow provider of your choice you will need to pay for your services out-of-pocket and submit the receipt to us for reimbursement. You will be reimbursed up to $50 per disablement using this option. Lockout Service is available up to $100 per incident. The cost of keys is not included.

There is a limit of (1) reimbursement per disablement and a total of four (4) incidents per covered vehicle per policy period.

Back to Top

Where do I send my receipt for reimbursement?

You can submit your receipt along with your policy number to:

Wawanesa General Insurance Company
9050 Friars Road
San Diego, CA 92108
Attn: Claims
For questions regarding your reimbursement:

Back to Top

Policies and Coverage

Do you offer a six month policy?

No - Wawanesa only writes a 12 month automobile policy and this is to your advantage. The rates we charge are locked in for a full 12 month period. A rate increase that may take place, or a traffic conviction that you obtain during the policy term will not affect you until your policy renews. Your premium will be adjusted mid-term only if you initiate a change on your policy.

Back to Top

What discounts are available on Wawanesa Automobile Insurance Policy?

We currently offer the following discounts:

  1. Good Driver Discount
  2. Mature Driver Improvement Course Discount
  3. Multi-Car Discount
  4. Driver Training Discount
  5. Loyalty Discount

Back to Top

Does Wawanesa offer Rental Expense coverage?

Yes, effective October 1998, this coverage became available on all vehicles insured for either Comprehensive or Collision coverage by Wawanesa.

Back to Top

Am I covered if I drive in Mexico?

There is NO coverage provided by your Wawanesa Automobile Insurance Policy.

Back to Top

If I am involved in an accident, will my premium increase?

If you are found to be 51% or more responsible for the accident and there is more than $1000 in total resulting damages you are considered at-fault in the accident and your premium will increase at your next policy renewal.

Back to Top

How long does an at-fault accident surcharge remain on my policy?

An at-fault accident remains on your policy for three consecutive policy terms, commencing the first renewal after the accident.

Back to Top

How long do traffic convictions affect the rating of my policy?

A traffic conviction remains on your policy for three consecutive policy terms, commencing the first renewal after the conviction date.

Back to Top

A rock hit my windshield. If I put in a claim will my policy premium go up?

No, there is no increase in premiums charged due to any Comprehensive coverage related claims.

Back to Top

Does my policy cover me if I rent a car?

If you rent a private passenger car, light van or pick-up, in Canada, the U.S. or its possessions or territories, your Wawanesa Automobile Policy will provide coverage.

If the vehicle is rented, because an automobile covered by your Wawanesa Policy is disabled or being serviced, the coverage we provide for the rental vehicle will be identical to the policy coverage applying on the vehicle which is disabled or being serviced.

If the vehicle is rented for any reason other than due to disablement or servicing of a covered vehicle, it will have the broadest coverage we now provide for any vehicle shown on your policy declaration page.

Back to Top

To find out more, request an online 

Auto Quote

Or call 1-877-WAWANESA (929-2637) to speak with a Quote Specialist.
Get an Auto Quote

Good drivers deserve great insurance rates.

Start an Auto Quote

Or call to speak with a Wawanesa Quote Specialist: 1-877-WAWANESA (929-2637)

Get a Residential Quote
Related Links